School Breakfast Exemption
The Board of Education of Locust Valley CSD intends to request an exemption for the 2019-2020 school year from the mandate of establishing a breakfast program in each elementary school building. This exemption request is being made to the New York State Department of Education. The Board of Education welcomes any comments or concerns from the public on this issue. Please forward your comments in writing to Mrs. Susan Hammerschmidt, District Clerk, Locust Valley CSD, 22 Horse Hollow Road, Locust Valley, N.Y. 11560.
Locust Valley Lunch Program
**We have a new website for student meal pre-payment at www.myschoolbucks.com
Free and Reduced Price Lunch Program
The Locust Valley Central School District participates in the National School Lunch Program, a federally assisted meal program that provides nutritionally balanced, low cost or free meals to children each school day. All students receive an application at the beginning of the school year. Applications can be turned in anytime; there is no deadline.
The application for this program and a letter to parents is available to the left. Any questions should be directed to the Office of School Lunch at 516 277-5530.
Look what is New on the Menu
Locust Valley School meals already meet or exceed many of the new requirements, so students will notice only small changes on the menus.
- Students have to choose at least a ½ cup of a fruit or a vegetable with lunch.
- The menus are separated by grade group: Kindergarten - 5th grade, 6th - 8th grade and 9th - 12th grade.
- The menus offer a rainbow of colors of fruits and vegetables with more choices available to students.
- Majority of grains on the menu are whole grain.
- We continue to offer only fat-free (White and Chocolate) and 1% low-fat milk.
- No foods contain trans- fat and saturated fat is limited to less than 10% of calories.
- Menu items contain less sodium.
- All cafeteria serving lines have a poster showing the food groups by color (the same as on ChooseMyPlate) and all food items are labeled by food group on the serving line. The poster explains to the students which food groups can make a lunch and that a fruit or vegetable must be included with lunch.
We will continue to introduce new menu items throughout the school year.
- Milk: Fat Free (White & Chocolate)/Low Fat White (8oz)
- 100% Fruit Juice: Apple/Orange/Fruit Punch (4oz)
- 100% Fruit Juice Capri (6.75oz)
- Long Island Ice Teas (16.9oz)
- Wat-aah (a line of functional water for kids free of sugar or sweeteners of any kind) (10oz & 16.9oz)
- Poland Spring Water (8oz & 16oz)
- Hot Chocolate (12oz)
- Herbal Teas
- Coffee: Regular / Decaf / Assorted Flavors (Served on Breakfast Line Only)
- We offer a variety of fresh fruit daily
- Canned Fruits: Unsweetened or in extra light syrup or packed in natural juice
- Dried Fruits: may have sugar or other sweeteners added before drying
- Most vegetables are fresh or frozen.
- All tomato products; diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato puree,
tomato paste and ketchup do not contain high fructose corn syrup.
- A Big Hit, our Salad Bars in the elementary & middle schools
BREAD & GRAINS
- All breads whole wheat except for our English muffins served at Breakfast…
- All pastas whole wheat except for our elbow macaroni…
- Brown Rice, Couscous, Quinoa and Orzo are also offered.
We serve a blend of scratch cooking with heat and serve products.
Our top sellers:
- Homemade Soups
- Roasted Potatoes
- Sautéed Seasoned Vegetables
- Salads: macaroni, Cole slaw
- Homemade hummus
- Chicken or Bean Burrito
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
- Italian Turkey Meatballs
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Variety Pizza